Brexit: What is it and why do people care so much?




What is Brexit? In short, British + Exit = Brexit. In 2016 the UK had a monumental vote to decide to leave the UK . On Thursday, June 23rd 2016, a referendum (public vote) was held to decide whether the UK should leave the EU. The vote won 51% to 49% in favor of leaving.

Wait… What’s the EU?
The EU, or European Union, is an economic and political partnership made up of 28 countries. Begun after WWII to foster economic cooperation with the idea that countries who trade together will be less likely to go to war with one another. Since then it’s grown to be a single market which means that goods and people can freely move within all 28 of the EU countries. It even has its own currency, the Euro, which is used by 19 of the countries and it also has its own parliament and has many of its own rules. 

This is the European Union:



Ok so back to the UK. Why did the UK want to leave?
Apparently, the idea to leave the UK was brought forward by the UK Independence Party and was not supported by the Prime Minister (David Cameron at the time, not Theresa May). They argued that the EU was a drain on the UK and that the high price of being a member of the EU wasn’t worth it.

When is it supposed to happen?
The UK was scheduled to leave on the 29th but the withdrawal agreement, otherwise called a “deal”, keeps being rejected by the MPs that I talked about last week. It has been postponed until May 2nd for now, but Theresa May has requested an extension until the 30th of June.

This is the EU flag:


What’s the deal with the deals?
The whole point of having a deal between the UK and EU is to make sure that the exit is as smooth as possible and won’t horribly impact everyone. It also keeps trade open and makes travel easier. The proposed deals come in two parts: one is a contract that sets the rules for the UK and EU’s “divorce” and talks about how much money the governments owe each other, and what happens to UK/EU citizens that are living outside of their own countries. People keep turning down Theresa May’s trade deal because they believe that it would mean the UK would still be subject to EU trade laws, but they would no longer have a say in making those laws. Another issue arises because the UK is an island, but they do have one land border with an EU country: the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Both halves of Ireland don’t want to return to the days of having border control and checkpoints along the border so an idea was proposed where Northern Ireland would stick to EU trade laws for things like produce so they wouldn’t have to have any checkpoints. Ireland had a nasty civil war for a long time, and people are afraid that opening checkpoints could trigger more issues between the north and south. The MPs don’t like this idea of open borders though because they feel like the UK would still be too tied to the EU if they did it. Three versions of this trade deal have been proposed, all three have been rejected, and time is running out.

This is a photo from one of the many Brexit protests in the UK:


What would happen if the UK left without one of these deals? Basically, it would be like chopping off a leg. The UK and EU would just split up with no guarantees about citizen’s rights of residence. So, if you’re French but are studying in the UK, there would be no guarantee that you’d be able to stay in England. Trade would be cut off which would affect food, medicine, clothing, and basically everything that comes from mainland Europe. Many believe that a no-deal Brexit would tank the UK economy, but some think that it wouldn’t be as bad since the UK wouldn’t have to pay a £39,000,000,000 divorce bill. If trade gets cut off, the UK would have to shift to world-trade laws instead of just EU laws. So, they’d be able to trade after a while, but it will be a pain.

Could Brexit be cancelled? Yes, but it would require a massive change in the law in the UK, and no one is willing to do that. Parliament would ultimately have the final say to vote on whether or not they wanted to revoke article 50 (the Brexit article). 

This is Parliament in session and discussing Brexit:



Could there be another referendum?
Many people, especially young people, are calling for another vote. Unfortunately, the government has rejected the idea of another referendum. But, because the withdrawal deal has been rejected three times so far, it’s possible that another referendum will be put forward since no one can seem to agree on what they want. I asked some of my friends about their thoughts on Brexit and here’s what they had to say:

Me: What do you think about Brexit as a whole?

Friend 1: Poorly planned and executed. Partly because David Cameron did not expect the result and May is a remainer*

Friend 2: I think Brexit is a good thing. I don’t like the idea of being ruled by rules my government didn’t vote on

Me: What kind of deal (or no-deal) do you think will go through?

Friend 1: Unsure at the moment – I’m hoping it won’t come to no deal. I would like a “soft” Brexit whereby we stay in the customs union and single market

Friend 2: I think that we will end up leaving with no deal (A lot of MP’s are pro staying in the EU), or we will be bullied by the EU into taking a deal we don’t want

Me: How do you think the result Brexit would affect the UK in the long and short term?

Friend 1: Depends on what happens. A no deal short term would be very bad for the economy. Long term is difficult to predict since no member state has ever done this before.

Friend 2: I think the short term will be a bit rough, but then we will settle into our place as an independent nation, it will drastically improve and we’ll be better off

Me: Are you hoping for another referendum and do you think it will happen?

Friend 1: At this point I don’t think we’re too far gone for another referendum. I would be surprised if we had another one although it would not be undemocratic (as some people love to suggest)*

Friend 2: I don’t want a second referendum and I think it’s unlikely to happen. The referendum deal is kind of a one-time thing, so if another happens it would be really sad. 

Here is a photo of the Brussels and EU flags hanging together on city hall. Brussels is actually the center of the EU due to its strategic position for trade.  



Theresa May was actually also in Brussels last week while I was there. She was working on trade agreements here. Here's a photo of me and some of my friends having some amazing Belgian seafood:


What do all of you think? Do you think that leaving the EU is a good idea? What do you think is going to happen with the deal? I can’t wait to read your replies and answer your questions on Friday. Chat soon!


*remainer = someone who wants to stay in the EU
* many people who support Brexit claim that another vote would go against democracy



Comments

  1. Hi, my name is juan.
    I like running and playing soccer.
    why is bristol called bristol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI i like your photos the uk looks cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Osvaldo i like playing soccer. bo you play soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi my name is wanli, i play the viola. what the weather like in bristol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello this is Alex again so if they were to really leave it could be disastrous, so it doesn't make sense to me that they would take more independence over stable trade and control. It just doesn't seem smart for the UK to put themselves in the position of for a metaphor , "Picking up the pieces after a tornado" it just seems smarter to council with the EU on having more of a voice than taking just such drastic measures. And to end on a lighter not, How does the EU make rules and regulate laws internationally?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, my name is Kevin
    I like playing basketball and piano.
    I like the picture of the Brussels and EU flags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi my name is Alexa and my favorite hobby is basketball and one question I have is do you play any sports?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Alyssa from mr. DuPonts class. I have one question why do they want to ¨divorce"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi my name is rayshawn and i like to play fortnite do you like to play video games

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi my name is florissa from mr.duponts class and i like to play volleyball make mystery poems

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my name is emilio one question I have is what is your favorite thing to do there

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI my name is yin, and i like to play on my phone. And I like your pink hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi my name is alex I like the picture of the Brussels and EU flags.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi my name is Keren , I enjoy the post you upload :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. (From Callie) Hello Chandler! I am enjoying seeing your posts. From what i´ve seen I did not imagine England to look how it actually does to be honest. What´s the weather like there currently? Where I live it is still pretty cold.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm Fiona and i'm from Mr.DuPont's class. I like to play video games and write poems from referenced games! What are the delicacies you have in England?

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi my name is jayden what's your favorite sport or food

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, my name is Natasha. Something I like to do is to spend time with my sisters. How long were you in Bristol ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi , my name is Pavel. Something i like to do is playing sports like basketball, and soccer. What's your
    Favorite Sport ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi my name is Ava What is your favorite sport and do you like video games?????

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi my name is shelby i like running and jimnastics to

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi, my name is willa and i love to read. If you have a fav book what is it

    ReplyDelete
  23. Im Jason what foods do you eat there? Also I like that city hall

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi!! My name is Jessie I liked the picture of the flags and of the Brussels.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, this Sami again, can the countries that are part of UK vote to stay in the EU even though they are part of the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  26. hello my name is katelyn i am wondering how the weather is their compared to here .

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi my name is Nawaf, I like to play basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi my name is Mark. I like the photos you post all of your posts are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi my name is Arius i like to play games and it looks cool there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi my name is florissa and like history and sports

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Im Emma and I like the photos you are posting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts