Fashion, Slang, and British Fads



A Starter Pack created by the university's student paper Epigram


This is my final post on this blog (sad), so I hope that you all have enjoyed it so far.  It has been lots of fun to write these posts and reply to your curious comments. Hopefully my posts were just as fun to read. Many of you have asked about fashion in England and how people here talk. I figured that this last post would be a good place to talk about those topics. I'm going to focus mostly on Bristol, but I'll also chat a bit about England a whole.


Fashion in Bristol:

I'd say that Bristol fashion is pretty similar to Portland fashion. It's very hipster thrift-store chic. Basically, people spend a lot of money to make it look like they didn't spend any money at all. Fashion for men honestly isn't that important here, but women have a very specific style. Women's style is made up of a few things here:
  • Wavey Garms - aka: anything flared. This mostly refers to flared jeans, or "flares", but can also refer to any kind of flowy trouser (the word "pants" in the U.K. means underwear, so you have to call them trousers)
A Bristol student in her fashionable flared trousers and Filas (photo credit to Bristol Epigram)
  • "Moonwalker" (as my friend called it) style shoes. Filas are the most popular brand, but any kind of platform shoe will be popular
Fila Trainers
  • French bobbed haircut with bangs 
My roommate Leah with her Bristol haircut, Filas, and wavey garms 
  • Usually some kind of oversized fur or pink coat. Not sure why these are so popular since they really aren't that warm, but they sure are everywhere
The full Bristol Outfit: Fur coat, moonwalker shoes, and wavey garms (credit to Epigram)

 
My Roommate Madi in her Bristol outfit (she's wearing Filas but they got cut off)

Bristol has a wide variety of people, and these trends obviously are not the only fashion trends across the city. There is also a huge punk scene here so there a lot of Doc Marten shoes, leather jackets, etc... For the more artsy people, thrifted clothing is huge and people will go to vintage kilo sales where you can grab a kilogram of clothing for only £10-15. I went to one a few months ago and came away with three shirts and a super cute dress. 

For men, the fashion is a lot more variable, but there are a few general trends. I should clarify though that these fashion trends are kind of all-or-nothing meaning that you're either a guy who wears all of these, or a guy who wears none of them.
  • Choppy fade haircuts

While there are many other hairstyles out there, this seems to be the most stereotypically British
  • Bucket Hats - probably my least favorite fad
Photo from a local club
  • Wavey Garms (but specifically 80's jackets)
 
You guy's know who Roy Purdy is? Well he basically sums up Bristol fashion for men:
 
There are also some pieces that are popular for both genders: 
  • Bum bags - we'd call them fanny packs, but they're weirdly popular here. They're most frequently worn like a cross body bag instead of around your waist 
 
My Friend Josh wearing his wavey garm and bum bag
  •  Thrasher shirts - I don't think that anyone actually reads Thrasher, but the logo is on everything


So now that you know how to look like a Bristolian, let's learn how to talk like one!

British Slang:

I've already introduced you to some slang phrases like "alright me lover", but this week I'm going to get deeper into slang here in Bristol (or Brizzle as locals would call it).

To start off, go ahead and try to translate this sign:
Sign at a coffee stand near my house

Makes no sense right? This sign is about as Bristolian as it gets in regards to slang. These words are used pretty much nowhere else in the U.K.. Let me break it down for you:

Gurt (can also be spelled "Gert") = very
Lush = fantastic 
Innit = shorthand for "isn't it"

Altogether the sign means "really great weather for iced coffee, isn't it?"

Here are some other British slang phrases:
  • Chuffed - meaning "very happy/please about"
    • Eg: "I'm chuffed to have won this award"
  • Gutted - the exact opposite of chuffed. Means that you're very upset about something
    •  Eg: "I'm gutted that I didn't win that award"
  • Knackered - exhausted
    • Eg: "I can't go out tonight. I'm absolutely knackered"
  • Fortnight - no it's not just a video game, it actually means a group of two weeks. Like a month is four weeks, a fortnight is two
    • Eg: "Our club meets up once a fortnight"
  • Mate - friend
    • Eg: "My mates come over once a fortnight to play fortnight"
  • Grub - another word for food
    • Eg: "Pub Grub" or food served at a pub
 
  • Bin - Garbage can
  • Rubbish - Trash
  • That's Rubbish! - meaning "I don't believe you"
  • Smart - usually describes clothing. Means that it's classy/nice
    • Eg: When going to a job interview, you want to wear a smart looking shirt
  •  Alright? - meaning "how are you?". It's usually a rhetorical question and you typically respond with "ya, you alright?"
  • Flat - apartment
So now you know how to look and talk like a Bristolian! You'll fit in perfectly if you ever come to visit. I hope that you've all enjoyed my blog posts over these last ten weeks. I know that I've enjoyed writing them. I can't wait to meet you all next week for our final celebration. Try to think up some questions that you'd like to ask me next week!



Comments

  1. Hi, my name is David. I like to play basketball and baseball. One question I have is that is there any popular sports there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my name is Arius and one question i have is are there any popular sports or other things there.

      Delete
    2. Hi David and Arius,
      Football (soccer) is the most popular sport here. Rugby takes a close second

      Delete
  2. Hi my name is Yin, I like the new photos that you posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello it's the 6th grade, bosnian Shaq again,(Sami) you said that FILA is the most popular shoe brand, but I thought Nike was the most popular shoe brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sami,
      FILA is the most popular for female university students. Outside of that demographic, Nike and Adidas are probably the most popular brands. Except here instead of pronouncing Nike like "ny-kee" they pronounce it more like the name Mike but with an N. It's weird, but they're convinced that they're correct.

      Delete
  4. Hi my name is Jessie. I really like the way your guys fashion is. It is similar to what I wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Parish and do u guys have jordans cause it is the most famous shoe here why is fila the most famous shoe there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Parish,
      I have no idea why they're so popular. I personally think that they're really ugly, but apparently they're super comfortable.

      Delete
  6. Hi Emma here, what is your favorite time of the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,
      That depends upon where I am living. Here in England, I love this time of year. It's sunny and warm, but it's not super hot. In Oregon I really like early summer for the same reasons. When I lived in Rhode Island I loved fall because all of the leaves changed color and it was gorgeous. Back in California I actually like winter because I tend to run really hot and California is still 60º and sunny in December which is perfect for me.

      Delete
  7. Hi my name is Katelyn. Are you good at talking with British slang?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn,
      I use some of it! I don't really use Bristol-specific slang, but I do say "bin", "chuffed", "gutted", "flat", and "alright?". There's a lot of slang here that sounds weird with an American accent, so I stay away from it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts